Jess, Chunk, and the Road Trip to Infinity

Jess, Chunk, and the Road Trip to Infinity

Rating 3

Book in a pinch: Simon vs the Homosapien Agenda meets Paper town

Go into this one knowing

It is a trans story and is the primary focus of the novel.

Ask Yourself these types of questions HOOK

It took me awhile to get hooked into this story but once I met the character of Chunk and they started the road tip I got a tad more invested. The story also included flashbacks inspired by paintings and it took me a couple of those to get use to that story telling device.

SETTING / WORLD BUILDING

I liked the setting it was told through especially the road trip through various states and the feelings those states have about trans people. But the world felt very natural to me and also the various real places I liked learning about.

• FLOW / PACING
  • The pacing of this book was made choppy by the flashbacks and I thought that it made me fall out of the story and not really be in. So that was a downside for the pacing but I loved the pacing of the road trip story.

CHARACTERS

• I really enjoyed the character of Chunk but had trouble liking jess throughout the novel. It was mostly because of all the issues Chuck saw in Jess, I saw as well. I grew to like Jess more but there were times that I did not like him.
  • CONFLICT
  • The conflict was a slow burn and both focused on the internal struggle of jess and also his changing relationships with chunk and his dad. It was more about self -acceptance and coming of an age story with a lot of emotional heart.

THE ENDING

The ending was a little bit abrupt and I wanted a little but more from the story rather then a quick closure.