The Great Shelby Holmes

The Great Shelby Holmes

By L

Rating 4 stars

Book in a pinch: Holmes and Watson for the middle grade world.

Go into this one knowing

This book is for middle grade readers and does have a very diverse cast.

Ask Yourself these types of questions HOOK

This story hooked me from the first page from both the tone and also the character of Watson. I was hooked by the first chapter and wanted to read even more after Holmes and Watson meet.

• SETTING / WORLD BUILDING
  • The story is set in NYC and that is where I lived so it was very easy for me to connect to this story. I could see she also spent a lot of time crafting the world and hope she writes more in this series because it is a very well-developed world.
  • FLOW / PACING
  • This book is very fast paced especially if you have kids that get board fast this book is a such a fast read and the story did not suffer from how fast pace the novel was either.

CHARACTERS

• I really enjoyed both main characters of the story so much. I loved how the characters were built and their interactions really stole my heart. I hope we get to see these characters again because they were so much fun to read about.
  • CONFLICT
  • The mystery and the relationship between Holmes and Watson really kept me wanting to read especially the mystery. I did not know the ending until the end and that was very hard to do when I read. The characters interaction also brought another level of conflict to the story as well.
  • DIALOGUE
  • The dialogue in this book is very unique especially Shelby but that is because of the character she is and that is stated by everybody how not normal it is. The dialogue of the other characters is so modern day that it makes holmes dialogue even more unique.

THE ENDING

I loved how the story wrapped up and how Shelby wrapped up the case it was a very creative ending and I hope we get more stories like this in the future.

Check out my non-spolier review of several novels including this one: